Project Engineer (Civil or Mechanical)
We are pleased to partner with our client in Surrey, BC on potential project opportunities. Currently we are anticipating project needs of a Project Engineer for an 8-12 month project starting early 2018 in the Lower Mainland. The Project Engineer will report directly to the Project/Construction Manager, Operations Manager or Sr Project Engineer where directed.
The Project Engineer is a qualified engineer with pipeline construction experience. The incumbent will work with limited direct assistance within an established framework. It is primarily a site based role, however from time to time the incumbent may be involved in tender preparations and submission.
The position may include the supervision of a small number of Graduate Engineers, other site personnel and/or subcontractors.
In particular, measurement of performance will be against the ability to complete tasks in a timely and accurate manner to meet the requirements of the project. A key element of this will be the degree to which key project personnel such as Construction Manager and Superintendents are able to rely on the incumbent. It is expected that the incumbent will be proactive in meeting KPI objectives as involvement in each of these areas is essential in developing a rounded understanding of project management principals in the pipeline construction industry.
The incumbent will be required to work 6 days on 1 day off per week.
- Qualifications of Bachelor of Engineering (Civil or Mechanical).
- Minimum of 3 years post graduate engineering work experience.
- Experience in the construction industry, preferably pipeline construction.
- Treats Safety/Quality/Environment/Lands/Cultural Heritage management as integral elements of the construction process.
- Hands on, career minded, willing to learn from the ground up, and passionate about the construction industry with a strong interest in gas and water pipelines.
- Commitment to health and safety, and willingness to comply with Health, Safety and Environment policies and procedures.
Duties, not limited to:
- Effectively plan and execute construction activities ensuring work is completed on time and on budget.
- Write construction execution procedures for all project activities.
- Supervise construction activities including managing the team, administrative and HSE functions, such as timesheets, pre-start meetings, JHAs.
- Actively participate in field construction activities at all levels including labouring, plant operation field survey etc.
- Liaise with third party approval authorities including preparation of submissions necessary to obtain approvals and negotiations to obtain approvals.
- Timely preparation of project progress reports (daily, weekly, and monthly) including weekly manpower status reports.
- Assist with construction programming
- Assist with preparation of project meetings and close out reports
- Have a full understanding of the project controls function and how it relates to construction and reporting activities.
- Identify variation or extension of time issues and quantify entitlements.
- Administration of project quality control system.
- Develop and implement a project QC audit schedule.
- Supervise field inspection activities.
- Prepare as built data records for handover to client.
- Assist in tender preparation as directed.
- Interpret technical requirements and advise Estimator accordingly.
- Preparation of estimates of elements of project works as directed for the purpose of local project decisions with respect to procurement, cost control and claims preparation including take offs and RFQs.